Tuesday 12 November 2013

Doing my 'bit'

Three recycling bags!
I’m going to write a little entry on ‘doing my bit’, not just about ‘my bit', but whether a 'bit' is really enough to change the world?

There are many everyday things that I know I do, which I do better than some of the people around me, and surely a whole portion of doing ‘good’ is set aside for merely doing ‘better’, surely?!


I have a strong passion for recycling, my heart swells with pride at seeing my bags of recycling piled up on a Tuesday morning. One or two bags from the neighbours, three or four from my house. Leicester city’s recycling system is one of the best I have experienced. We only put our black bin out once every two or three weeks, again another source of pride.

Home made and charity shop home wares.
 My recycling love extends to my wardrobe, I would think it an underestimation to say that at least 75% of the clothes in my two wardrobes have come from charity shops. Our house went from being unfurnished, to being our little home with 90% second hand goods. These goods came from charity shops, freecycle, friends and also my lovely grandmothers church closing down.

Recycling continues into crafts, I love making things. This afternoon has been set aside for Christmas crafting with mum. I have lots of charity shop bought material and checked shirts to craft with, if you're lucky I might post an update of what we make.

Brewing!
My BF and I like to brew our own wine and beer, which reduces packaging considerably, and means we get more for less money, which is always nice when you're a poor PhD student. Meat from the butcher and fruit and veg from the market again cut down packaging.

We are a one car household, as we live in the city centre. Prior to passing my test last year, I would pretend that I didn't drive because I love the planet.

Right, now, let's get down to business...this is all well and good but it is all also highly convenient. I save money, have unlimited alcohol and feel smug on Tuesday mornings. This is all very 'I' focused, and in essence all I'm doing is recycling. Which unfortunately is not enough. What more can I do?

This website is really interesting, but doesn't really tell me anything new, maybe that means i'm doing enough?! No! It is good for ideas on how to make changes in your life, to be more eco-friendly.

Eco-friendly + Inconvenient
I want to do something inconvenient. Something more inconvenient than the 'ecofriendly, less packaging' toilet roll I purchased that doesn't fit on the toilet roll holder. Thoroughly inconvenient. 

I don't think I have the guts to go out into the sea and board ships to stop oil drilling or whale killing, or other hard core environmental activism. But in completing my PhD, I will hopefully have helped in some way to encourage more efficient ecosystem service management and policy creation. Maybe I'll have built myself some sort of platform from which to shout about saving the planet?!

I think, for now, I need to get out there and volunteer. Cut turtles free from can holders, preserve areas of the Amazon Rainforest or tidy up the Great Barrier Reef. I think I might start closer to home I could dive and collect litter, put my Advanced PADI diving skills to use. Or I could clean up my local country parks. I have put it on the internet, so now I have to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment