Monday 25 November 2013

Conferences

Nice chaise lounge in the toilets at the London BESS conference.
I like it when I tell my friends and family “oh sorry, no I can’t do that date, I’m at a conference” it makes me feel like I have some sort of real job. Granted, conferences have only taken up 5 of the 250 days that I have been doing my PhD. The photos are all of things I found interesting enough to send to friends. There is no real relevance, but I like them.

The 5 days were spread across 3 conferences, two BESS organised, and the LWEC annual assembly. The first was in London, in March, only 1 month into my PhD. Researchers from all the BESS consortia were in attendance which was great for me to understand BESS better. There were some really interesting talks, one for each of the consortia and others not directly related to BESS.


 
The second one I attended was the BESS early career researchers conference in York. The conference was designed around what we felt we needed from it, with talks and training from Dave Raffaelli, Kevin Hicks, Piran White and Steve Cinderby. It conference really changed how I look at my PhD, by seeing how other people are doing theirs, and what avenues and routes can be taken along the way.

Flumps with afternoon coffee!!
The BESS early career researchers formed our own sub group at the York conference and pitched our ideas on how we could stay together, and keep in touch. We managed to secure some funding and are going to be holding our own conference, amongst other things.
 
The LWEC conference, was a whole different experience. I had to apply to attend, and was very excited when I received my invite. The speakers were people whose jobs I would love to have one day, which was inspiring. I'm sure I can see myself rising to be the Chief Executive of the Environment Agency, or Chief Scientific Advisor for DEFRA. One day. The conference was focused of decision making and uncertainty and my pile of notes, although slightly illegible, was high. So many aspects I hadn't thought of that would be relevant in my PhD. 

Light reading for the train home from LWEC
So far conferences have been valuable events for me, my research, and 'networking'. I have met some really interesting people, that as I go through different parts of my reasearch, may start getting annoyed with my questions. As yet the new contacts I have made at these events have been nothing but eager to help and send me info and suggested reading.








No comments:

Post a Comment