Thursday 3 April 2014

Translating my scrawl.

Throughout the three BESS days I have created a collection of scrawls on all shapes and sizes of paper. There was so much information and ideas and inspiration that I had to write down, and I am now paying the price for forgetting my notebook. I am trying to find some order to the scraps of paper, I'm sure I'll work it all out soon, and remember why I have drawn some of these strange diagrams!

I thought I would pop on here some of my favourite things from the two days of the BESS annual science meeting...

I really enjoyed hearing about the different tools and tools that can be used to assess, value and map ecosystem service provision. I have done a bit of research into InVEST before, but I had never heard of LUCI or Aries, so I was really intrigued by them. In my PhD I am looking at the scale of ecosystem services so these tools are really relevant. Although I think I am fully invested in InVEST, I think is definitely good to know what else is out there!

I loved Helen King's talk on cultural services, as they can often be a bit looked over, though they are the services that have the visual impact and draw users into them. It gave me a bit of food for thought as I am not looking at any cultural services within my project.


The Battle of the Bands, was definitely interesting. And being a judge was quite the experience, though I am glad that it worked out that there were 4 groups in second place, and one clear winner. And the clear winner was the team where both performers were from Cranfield University and one of which was my PhD subject advisor...merely by coincidence of course.
The F3UES team collecting their delicious trophy.

Once I get through my notes, I think there will be more that I took away from the meeting, but my favourite thing is being able to make new connections, and reinforce older ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment