Wednesday 26 November 2014

NRG BESS

On the train home from another great NRG BESS meeting I was having a good think about the great things that the NRG BESS community has given me. Which I'm aware sounds a bit cheesy. I thought I would just jot a quick blog on my favourite things.

Firstly the sense of community. Out of my own choice I work from home, which can often feel a bit lonesome, and I don't get the chance to discuss my work other than in progress meetings. The NRG BESS meetings are great to informally chat about and around your work, which leads to more creative thinking towards it. It's also nice to hear that I'm not the only one that is stressed and feeling a little worn out.

Secondly is the great training. For me personally my favourites have been the policy training which was the final bit of inspiration I needed to apply for the policy internship. And then yesterdays Participatory GIS session. I feel a lot more confident in using some PGIS in the next stage of my PhD now.

Thirdly I like being involved in something that I really believe is going to continue on and be a great platform for early career biodiversity/PhD scientists into the future. Especially with the great structure we hashed out for the way the network is going to be working in 2015.

Fourthly inspiring my love for York, I'm still yet to visit without BESS involvement. 

Fifthly they're all great banagrams players.

Now to write my manifesto, so I can play a more direct part in the continuation of the network and give back a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment