Tuesday 28 January 2014

EcosySTEM Services



Football in the hail. Good thing won.
I did  some volunteering yesterday, as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) ambassador. I spent the day being an 'expert' in project management, helping the whole of year 7 keep their imaginary music festivals in order. This involved sitting in the textiles room (my office) and being approached by all the mini project managers with their amazing questions.

"How much will it cost to get this guy who is really funny and plays funny comedy parody songs of songs in the charts on YouTube to play at the festival?"

"Do you think 2 toilets will be enough for 30,000 people?"

"Why do you have the same phone as my mum?" 

"Were you on The Apprentice?"

Burn's Night Haggis
I obviously replied "Yes, and I won" to the last question and rambled on for a while about my experience of working with Lord Sugar, the £250,000 investment and all that it entailed. I stopped when I realised that they truly believed me.

The day was fun, and whilst the kids were consulting the construction, health and safety, electrical engineering and other actual experts I had time to write an article for the Cranfield students magazine. So although there was nothing really relevant to my PhD involved in the day, I got some bits done, and I realised that the word STEM is in the word ecosystem...which is knowledge I will definitely be using one day.

Irn Bru floats...a Linlithgow speciality
I now have the task of scrawling through all the contacts I have ever made and finding 10 people who would have a look at my questionnaire and be my pilot study group. They have to work in the environmental/planning/research/that sort of thing industry, and like me. I can think of 2 people so far...2 is not 10. Alas.

Again...no relevant photo's so just some stuff I've done.





No comments:

Post a Comment