Wednesday 8 January 2014

Say No to Bee Beards

Seaside 2p gambling with Grandma
So, we're all back after our Christmas breaks. I think I might have switched off from work slightly too much, as I found watching 'Bee Movie' a bit arduous. Although, a little bee holding a placard with "Say No to Bee Beards" on it, was pretty cute!! I'm littering this rather work focused entry with photos from the festive period, so it feels more cheery!

FESTIVE
Back to the grind, with all my new resolutions on working harder, better, faster and stronger, that will hopefully stick with me past mid-Jan! I'm currently working on two particular aspects of my PhD. I am spending a lot of time getting frustrated with GIS and InVEST, two programmes that are going to help me plot the scale at which particular ecosystem services are performing within my research areas. I have worked with GIS a lot in my BSc, but unfortuntely not since then, and not an awful lot has remained in my brain. But I am getting there, slowly and steadily!

Stockings on Christmas Day
I am also writing a questionnaire with which I will be trying to get other peoples opinions on scale and the issues surrounding it in the planning and policy environment. There are so many rules, regulations and ethics checklists that I have to comply with which doesn't make it easy. There are also an awful lot of differing opinions on how best to ask questions. I feel that I will be calling on a lot of contacts in order to pilot the questionnaire, because real world feedback is going to be the only way to really know what is going to work.

Walking in Wales
So, alongside these two major parts of my PhD, in the next 6 weeks I have a poster conference, a 6,000 word document on what I've been getting up to to write, and 3 presentations to give. One of the presentations will be to determine whether my project is PhD worthy, or whether I should call it quits and be happy with and MPhil.

Hopefully no MPhil.










No comments:

Post a Comment